By Karina M. Tehusijarana in Jakarta
Indonesia’s Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras) has urged President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo to take concrete steps to resolve alleged gross human rights violations in Wasior, Papua, marking the 17th anniversary of the incident this week.
“Kontras regrets and criticices the lack of action of President Jokowi’s administration in dealing with and resolving human rights abuses in Papua,” said Kontras commissioner Yati Andriyani.
The incident, which took place on June 13, 2001, was triggered when five members of the National Police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob) and one civilian were killed after a dispute between residents and timber company PT Vatika Papuana Perkasa.
During a search for the perpetrators, Brimob members allegedly committed gross human rights violations in the form of murder, torture and abduction.
A National Commission on Human Rights (Komnas HAM) investigation into the incident found that at least four people were killed, 39 wounded from torture, five abducted and one sexually abused.The case was submitted to the Attorney-General’s Office for prosecution in 2004 but has seen little progress since then.
During his campaign for president in 2014, Jokowi had promised to resolve past human rights violations, including the Wasior incident.
“Instead of fulfilling that promise, Attorney-General H.M. Prasetyo said on June 1 this year that gross human rights abuses were difficult to resolve through judicial processes,” Yati said.
Article by AsiaPacificReport.nz