Featured video

Video Podcast: A View from Afar

LIVE@ 12:30pm – AVFA Podcast: Summits, Geopolitics, Institutional Lag, Industrial Resilience

Lead story

Donald Trump left Beijing empty-handed – but avoided something worse

CoveragePost

May 18, 2026

Source: The Conversation (Au and NZ) – By Kerry Brown, Professor of Chinese Politics; Director, Lau China Institute, King’s College London When Britain sent its first formal diplomatic mission to China in 1793, one of the participants from London, Peter Auber, remarked that the group had been “received with the utmost politeness, treated with the ... <a title="Donald Trump left Beijing empty-handed – but avoided something worse" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2026/05/18/donald-trump-left-beijing-empty-handed-but-avoided-something-worse-282663/" aria-label="Read more about Donald Trump left Beijing empty-handed – but avoided something worse">Read more</a>

From MIL OSI

Structured source-led updates

Safer, more welcoming spaces planned for Glenfield town centre

· Post

Source: Auckland Council Glenfield town centre is set to become safer, more connected and more welcoming thanks to a series of upgrades approved by the Kaipātiki Local Board. The improvements will focus on key public spaces around Kaipātiki Park, Downing Street Reserve and Bentley Avenue, helping create better walking connections and more inviting areas for…

Public sector job cuts: ‘Nobody is above scrutiny’

· Post

Source: Radio New Zealand The government’s latest job cuts in the public sector have a “DOGE-type approach” say the Greens, but it is “just what the doctor ordered”, according to ACT. The government announced today that public service jobs are to be slashed by about 14 percent over the next three years in a shake-up…

Dating app attacks: Four teens arrested in Invercargill

· Post

Source: Radio New Zealand Queens Park in Invercargill was the scene of at least one attack. RNZ / Tess Brunton Four teenagers have been arrested after several Invercargill people were attacked in violent and unprovoked assaults by people they met on dating apps. Police said there were four separate incidents where dating apps were deliberately…

Contact Energy boss says risk of New Zealand running out of power this winter eases

· Post

Source: Radio New Zealand New solar and geothermal generation means New Zealand no longer faces the same risk of running out of power in winter in so-called “dry years”, according to Contact Energy Chief Executive Mike Fuge. Hydro-generation is the country’s largest power source but can be limited in years when rain and snow melt…

Labour holds off on Future Fund details until after election

· Post

Source: Radio New Zealand Barbara Edmonds says the party hasn’t decided what assets to put in the fund yet. RNZ / Samuel Rillstone Labour will not release key details of its Future Fund policy until after the election, saying some of the advice it needs can only come if the party is in government. If…

Government blindly cuts to save skin – Willis’s plan clearly hasn’t worked

· Post

Source: NZCTU New Zealand Council of Trade Unions Te Kauae Kaimahi President Sandra Grey has today blasted Nicola Willis’s pre-Budget announcement on public sector job cuts. “After years of failing to make her economic plans work, failing to get the economy back on track, and failing to get the cost of living under control, the…

Public workflow

MIL-OSI Network

EveningReport is part of the MIL-OSI network. You can find out more by clicking the contact button >