Komo landowners spokesman John Pipija calls for “no more excuses”. Video: EMTV News
Pacific Media Centre Newsdesk
Komo International Airfield landowners in Hela have given the Papua New Guinea government a last warning, EMTV News reports.
Spokesperson John Pipija said the government must stop making excuses and compensate the 16 clans who had been left out from benefits.
Chairman Pipija said that for eight years no development forum was held, three moemorandum of understanding (MOA) agreements had been signed but the landowners had not been recognised.
LoopPNG’s Freddy Mou reported last month that landowners had closed the Komo airfield in Hela on June 19 after the government had failed to respond to their petition. He wrote:
The landowners gave their petition on May 10, 2018, calling on the government and the developer, ExxonMobil, to review the UBSA agreement and make Komo Airfield Facility a standalone project.
Talking to this newsroom from the Komo airfield [today], chairman of the Komo landowners, Michael Tiki, is urging the government to respond to their petition or the closure of the airfield will be definite.
“We have given the government ample time but they haven’t responded to our petition,” he reiterated.
“Our position still stands and that is we want Komo airfield to be a standalone project.”
Chairman of Undupi Telia clan, Paranda Uripako, has also shared similar sentiments, calling on the government to at least listen to the landowners.
“We want the government to respond to our petition quickly and don’t want to be deceived again.”
Asia Pacific Report has permission from EMTV News through the Pacific Media Centre to republish this news item.
Article by AsiaPacificReport.nz]]>