CoveragePost
July 9, 2020
Pacific Media Centre Newsdesk Papua New Guinea’s Controller of the National Pandemic Response and Police Commissioner, David Manning, has told the public that a rumour circulating on social media about new cases of covid-19 in Port Moresby is false, the PNG Post-Courier reports. He also cautioned the public from spreading misinformation and fake news which ... <a title="PNG covid response controller warns public against fake news" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/09/png-covid-response-controller-warns-public-against-fake-news/" aria-label="Read more about PNG covid response controller warns public against fake news">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 6, 2020
Pacific Media Centre Newsdesk Papua New Guinea’s police and courts must work closely with media for transparency to inform the public on the daily investigation and court processes taken over the death of young mother Jenelyn Kennedy late last month, a men’s gender justice advocate says. Man Up group representative Ganjiki Wayne said Jenelyn’s death ... <a title="Call for PNG police and courts to work closely with media on violence cases" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/06/call-for-png-police-and-courts-to-work-closely-with-media-on-violence-cases/" aria-label="Read more about Call for PNG police and courts to work closely with media on violence cases">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 6, 2020
Pacific Media Watch Newsdesk Thirty five years ago this week in another life Pacific Media Centre director Professor David Robie was an environmental journalist on board the original Rainbow Warrior, the Greenpeace flagship that was bombed by French secret agents on 10 July 1985. He was on board for almost 11 weeks and joined the ... <a title="Pacific bombs, nuclear weapons and the Rongelap evacuation" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/06/pacific-bombs-nuclear-weapons-and-the-rongelap-evacuation/" aria-label="Read more about Pacific bombs, nuclear weapons and the Rongelap evacuation">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 5, 2020
By Grace Auka-Salmang in Port Moresby Key findings from the 2016 to 2018 Papua New Guinea Demographic and Health Survey reveals that 56 percent of women aged 15 to 49 in PNG have experienced physical violence around the age of 15. And 28 percent have experienced sexual violence. Also 18 percent of women who have ... <a title="PNG health survey shows 56% of women suffer violence at age 15" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/05/png-health-survey-shows-56-of-women-suffer-violence-at-age-15/" aria-label="Read more about PNG health survey shows 56% of women suffer violence at age 15">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 4, 2020
The National editorial Hundreds walked the Sir John Guise drive on Thursday calling for justice for the brutal death of 19-year-old mother-of-two – Jenelyn Kennedy last week. Jenelyn’s battered lifeless body was taken into the Port Moresby General Hospital last Tuesday by four men (one believed to be the father of her two children). Dr ... <a title="The National: Let’s play our part to end violence" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/04/the-national-lets-play-our-part-to-end-violence/" aria-label="Read more about The National: Let’s play our part to end violence">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 4, 2020
By Rebecca Kuku in Port Moresby A passionate plea by men, women and children has echoed around the Papua New Guinean capital of Port Moresby – that it is time to turn the corner on addressing gender-based violence in the country. Gatherings, a peaceful march and a vigil were staged in the capital city on ... <a title="‘It’s time men stand up for our women’ message at ‘turning point’ PNG vigil" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/04/its-time-men-stand-up-for-our-women-message-at-turning-point-png-vigil/" aria-label="Read more about ‘It’s time men stand up for our women’ message at ‘turning point’ PNG vigil">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 3, 2020
Athletes from the Papua New Guinea’s national team joined the peaceful “cry for justice” march in the nation’s capital of Port Moresby. Video: EMTV News By EMTV News Many wore black yesterday in rallies against gender-based violence in Papua New Guinea in a day chosen to remember the young mother Jenelyn Kennedy – and for ... <a title="Many in black rally for Jenelyn and against PNG gender-based violence" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/03/many-in-black-rally-for-jenelyn-and-against-png-gender-based-violence/" aria-label="Read more about Many in black rally for Jenelyn and against PNG gender-based violence">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 2, 2020
I write this as a Papua New Guinean and a daughter of this nation. I believe in the rights of women. I believe that the Constitution of the Independent State of Papua New Guinea, the Mama Lo, safeguards the place of women in our nation. I understand the strengths and limitations of our cultures and ... <a title="Dame Meg Taylor: We must act now over gender-based violence in PNG" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/02/dame-meg-taylor-we-must-act-now-over-gender-based-violence-in-png/" aria-label="Read more about Dame Meg Taylor: We must act now over gender-based violence in PNG">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
July 2, 2020
Pacific Media Centre Newsdesk Bhosip Kaiwi, the man accused of murder in the Papua New Guinean torture case, will be held at the Correctional Services Training College at Bomana to undergo 14 days of quarantine under the government’s covid-19 requirement, reports the PNG Post-Courier. He will remain there until he is cleared before joining the ... <a title="Kaiwi to undergo quarantine before moving into main Bomana prison" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/07/02/kaiwi-to-undergo-quarantine-before-moving-into-main-bomana-prison/" aria-label="Read more about Kaiwi to undergo quarantine before moving into main Bomana prison">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
June 30, 2020
By Rebecca Kuku in Port Moresby Young Papua New Guinean mother-of-two Jenelyn Kennedy died from “head injury and bruised internal organs”, according to a doctor who examined her body. Dr Seth Fose, the chief pathologist at the Port Moresby General Hospital, said the 19-year-old died from “blunt force trauma to the head and the body ... <a title="Young PNG mother died of ‘blunt force’ head injuries, bruised organs" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/06/30/young-png-mother-died-of-blunt-force-head-injuries-bruised-organs/" aria-label="Read more about Young PNG mother died of ‘blunt force’ head injuries, bruised organs">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
June 30, 2020
By Grace Auka-Salmang in Port Moresby The care of duty supposed to be provided to the young Papua New Guinean mother Jenelyn Kennedy killed last week was not properly done and everybody involved failed her, says a leading resarcher and anti-violence advocate. “This includes the police officers at the Family Sexual Violence Unit (FSVU), doctors, ... <a title="Doctors, family, friends ‘failed’ Jenelyn in duty of care, says PNG researcher" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/06/30/doctors-family-friends-failed-jenelyn-in-duty-of-care-says-png-researcher/" aria-label="Read more about Doctors, family, friends ‘failed’ Jenelyn in duty of care, says PNG researcher">Read more</a>
CoveragePost
June 29, 2020
Pacific Media Watch Host Sherry Zhang interviewed the director of the Pacific Media Centre, Professor David Robie, about the tragic life and death of Jenelyn Kennedy from gender violence in Papua New Guinea today on the Southern Cross segment of Radio 95bFM. Professor Robie discussed the rather horrific image of her lifeless body on the ... <a title="Tragic death of Jenelyn Kennedy and media ethics aired on Southern Cross" class="read-more" href="https://eveningreport.nz/2020/06/29/tragic-death-of-jenelyn-kennedy-and-media-ethics-aired-on-southern-cross/" aria-label="Read more about Tragic death of Jenelyn Kennedy and media ethics aired on Southern Cross">Read more</a>