Recommended Sponsor Painted-Moon.com - Buy Original Artwork Directly from the Artist

Source: Radio New Zealand

Residents are also concerned about a second bridge undermined by floodwaters at Hurupi Stream. Supplied / Sharon Durrant

Plans are underway to deliver food and increasingly urgent medical supplies to more than 100 people trapped near Ngawi on Wairarapa’s southern coastline.

Two bridges are out of action on the only roads into several rural and coastal communities – completely cutting them off – following torrential that hit overnight on Sunday.

Trucks are currently dumping boulders and metal into a 3-4m hole that opened on Tuesday at the Turanganui River bridge on Lake Ferry Road.

RNZ understands the goal is to reopen the road by Wednesday evening, restoring access to communities in Lake Ferry and Whangaimoana.

A bridge on Cape Palliser Road at the Hurupi Stream, known as the Banana Bridge, has been scoured out at the road edge and has been deemed structurally unsafe by the South Wairarapa District Council. Supplied

But a second bridge on Cape Palliser Road at the Hurupi Stream has since triggered an urgent warning from authorities.

The bridge, known as the Banana Bridge, has been scoured out at the road edge and has been deemed structurally unsafe by the South Wairarapa District Council.

“The bridge must not be used under any circumstances until it has been inspected and formally cleared by a qualified engineer,” it said.

A civil engineer was due to assess the bridge on Wednesday morning and as yet there was no timeframe for a fix.

A large hole has opened up at the Lake Ferry Road bridge cutting off communities in South Wairarapa. RNZ / Mary Argue

A council spokesperson said 119 people were trapped to the east of the bridge along the coastline to Ngawi.

Local Gavin Fenwick said the Hurupi bridge failure had caught people out, with holidaymakers and tourists among those who were stuck.

He said some people were getting quite desperate for food and medical supplies and he and his wife Donna had been helping organise a supply drop into the area, which was expected later on Wednesday.

The single-lane bridge to Lake Ferry, Wairarapa, has been gouged out by floodwaters. Supplied / South Wairarapa District Council

Fenwick said with medications that needed to be taken, the need for a delivery was getting “quite urgent”.

In an update on Wednesday morning, Powerco said 315 properties across Wairarapa were still without power following the storm.

Fenwick said fortunately contractors got over the bridge before it failed, restoring power by Monday night and while locals were quite “upbeat,” it was a different story for the tourists.

“It’s the campers that are here that have … just done a day trip and now they’re stuck here. Pretty hard for them.

“There’s not a lot of them, luckily, most of them got out in time, but there are a couple hanging around still. One of them put in an order for a food drop this afternoon, because they had basically nothing by the sound of it.”

More than 100 people are isolated on the south coast of Wairarapa after the “Banana Bridge” across the Hurupi Stream was deemed structurally unsafe. SWDC / Google Maps

The Fenwicks were also behind the well-known ‘Ngawi Big 3’ fishing competition due to be held this weekend, but Gavin Fenwick said the uncertainty around the bridge meant it had to be postponed.

In a post on social media the Ngawi Sports Fishing Club said given the state of the road, the postponement shouldn’t come as a surprise.

“The new proposed dates are 13th, 14th & 15th March – subject to the road being safe and accessible.

“We know everyone is itching to get back out there, but right now safety comes first. With our coast currently isolated, we’re focused on supporting our local community first and appreciate your understanding.”

A bridge on Cape Palliser Road at the Hurupi Stream. Supplied

Fenwick said the competition had been running since about 1992 and a few years ago had more than 500 entries – injecting quite a bit of cash into the local economy, but he said the call had to be made.

“People plan this months in advance and they can’t just be hanging around [wondering] ‘do we leave or do we not?’ We’ve got people come over from Australia even, they’re here in Wellington waiting to come out here.”

He said he spent Tuesday putting away all the prizes.

“It’ll have to happen another day.”

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

NO COMMENTS