Source: Radio New Zealand
A pipe pumped out wastewater into Porirua Harbour for three hours. Supplied / Wellington Water
A burst pipe pumped out wastewater into Porirua Harbour for three hours on Tuesday morning, Wellington Water confirmed.
Crews were sent out to the pipe on Titahi Bay Road, where the discharge into the stormwater network was stopped at about 3am.
One southbound lane of Titahi Bay Road has closed and traffic management will remain in place overnight.
Wellington Water said there had been no further leaks from the pipe but that the amount of wastewater discharged was unknown.
Repairs on the pipe will take place on Tuesday morning.
The water quality will be tested for at least three days or until results are clear.
The water company is looking into diverting wastewater to Porirua Central Wastewater Storage Facility during peak flow times.
Signs have been placed at the outlet into the harbour.
Wellington Water said it was keeping public health and environmental agencies updated. It advised the public to follow LAWA’s guidance on whether it was safe to swim in the area.
Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.
– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand
Original source: https://nz.mil-osi.com/2026/05/18/burst-pipe-sends-wastewater-into-porirua-harbour-for-3-hours/
