Recommended Sponsor Painted-Moon.com - Buy Original Artwork Directly from the Artist

Source: Radio New Zealand

The Mt Maunganui cordon, pictured earlier this month. Nick Monro

A man has been arrested after allegedly breaching the cordon around Mt Maunganui.

The cordon has been in place since the deadly landslide that killed six people at a campground in January.

Tauranga City Council said it aimed to lift part of the temporary road cordon around the Mt Maunganui landslide around lunchtime on Thursday.

Police were alerted at about 2.30am this morning after a 20-year-old man allegedly entered the landslide zone, which they say has been cordoned off for public safety.

He was arrested, and has been charged with breaching the Civil Defence Emergency Management Act, as well as careless driving.

Western Bay of Plenty Area Commander, Inspector Clifford Paxton, said the cordon is well sign-posted, and there’s no excuse for the breach.

“Police remind the public that the landslide site is a restricted area as it remains unstable and poses significant public safety concerns,” he said.

The man is expected to appear in Tauranga District Court next Tuesday.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

– Published by EveningReport.nz and AsiaPacificReport.nz, see: MIL OSI in partnership with Radio New Zealand

NO COMMENTS