New Nigeria Government urged to act swiftly and return abducted children from Boko Haram captivity

0
77

MIL OSI – Source: Africa Press Organization – Nigeria: One year on, UN and African experts call for decisive steps to bring back abducted children

Nigeria: One year on, UN and African experts call for decisive steps to bring back abducted children

GENEVA, Switzerland, April 13, 2015/African Press Organization (APO)/ — A group of United Nations and African human rights experts* deplored the continued captivity of girls abducted one year ago in Chibok, and called on the Boko Haram armed group to immediately release them as well as the numerous other children who have since been captured in Nigeria.

“In the absence of progress in the past year, we urge the Nigerian Government to swiftly take all necessary measures to locate the children, ensure their safe return and recovery, and provide them with adequate assistance and protection,” the experts said speaking ahead of the abduction anniversary. “At the same time, Nigeria must hold the perpetrators accountable, while respecting international human rights norms and standards.”

On 14 April one year ago, 276 girls were abducted at gunpoint from their secondary school during a violent raid by Boko Haram in the village of Chibok, in northeastern Nigeria. In a public statement, the group’s leaders threatened to sell the girls and turn them into sexual slaves. To date, only 57 girls have reportedly managed to escape.

During the last year and a half, Boko Haram has systematically abducted hundreds of civilians, including school girls, women, religious minorities and ethnic groups, targeting in particular Christian communities. Many boys have also been taken and forcibly recruited by the armed group.

The reported kidnappings happened in villages and towns across Borno State such as Konduga in February 2014, where 20 girls were taken, Wala and Warabe in April and May 2014, where 19 girls and women were abducted, Gumsuri in December 2014, where up to a 100 girls and women disappeared, and Damasak in March 2015, where several hundred children are unaccounted for.

“We strongly condemn the reported use of abducted children as suicide bombers by Boko Haram, as well as the cold blooded assassinations of enslaved girls by retreating Boko Haram fighters,” the experts said, while noting with further dismay credible reports of forcibly enrolled child soldiers being used as cannon fodder.

“Abducted children, with many having been forced to convert, suffer horrifying abuse during their captivity ranging from forced labour to forced marriage, rape, slavery, trafficking, torture and killings,” they warned. “Forced marriages and subsequent rapes of girls as well as sexual slavery could amount to crimes against humanity.”

The UN and African human rights experts stressed that “Boko Haram must immediately stop these abhorrent and heinous crimes.”

“The current impunity that members of Boko Haram enjoy has emboldened them and given them a license to continue committing these unspeakable crimes, which result in systematic violations of human rights,” they said. “We urge the Nigerian authorities to strengthen efforts, consistent with human rights standards, to protect its people, including children.”

“We also urge African States and the international community to extend their support to the authorities and to strengthen their cooperation in order to adopt a global strategy for a durable solution for the protection of children and human rights in Nigeria,” they stated.

The experts added that greater protection must be given to schools and dormitories where children are at risk of attacks by Boko Haram, in order to ensure that children, in particular girls, can exercise their right to education.

“We call on the authorities to adopt the appropriate framework to establish assistance and rehabilitation programmes for all child victims who have managed to escape and assist them in seeking redress,” they said.

The group of international and regional human rights experts welcomed the peaceful outcome of the elections of 28 March and pressed the new authorities to act diligently and with determination for the release of all the abducted children, including the girls from Chibok. “All efforts should also be concentrated on preventing the escalation of religious and gender based violence,” they stressed.

(*) The experts: Ms. Maud de Boer-Buquicchio, Special Rapporteur on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography; Ms. Urmila Bhoola, Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of slavery, including its causes and consequences; Ms. Rashida Manjoo, Special Rapporteur on violence against women, its causes and consequences; Ms. Maria Grazia Giammarinaro, Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons, especially women and children; Ms. Emna Aouij, Chair-Rapporteur of the Working Group on the issue of discrimination against women in law and in practice; and Ms. Soyata Maiga, Special Rapporteur on Rights of Women in Africa of the African Commission on Human and People’s Rights.

– –

SHARE

Selwyn Manning, BCS (Hons.) MCS (Hons.) is an investigative political journalist with 23 years media experience. He specializes in reportage and analysis of socioeconomics, politics, foreign affairs, and security/intelligence issues.
Selwyn has extensive experience as a commentator and has provided live political analysis to a wide range of television and radio organizations broadcasting in New Zealand, Australia and globally including the BBC (Five Live, London) and BBC (World Service). He is currently a correspondent to Australia’s FiveAA radio, and is a regular live-on-air panelist on Radio New Zealand’s The Panel with broadcaster Jim Mora.

NO COMMENTS